Cosmeceuticals are one of the integral buzzwords in the skincare industry – and for good reason. Bridging the gap between cosmetics and pharmaceutical-grade creams, cosmeceuticals are highly effective products that actually change the way your skin works for better skin health and an improved complexion.
What is a cosmeceutical?
The term cosmeceutical is a hybrid of cosmetics and pharmaceuticals. A cosmeceutical is a skincare product that generally contains active ingredients in high levels to treat specific skin conditions, such as wrinkling and age spots.
The higher concentration of these active ingredients allows the products to penetrate deeper into the skin, where collagen, elastin and cellular activity takes place. This can lead to more noticeable, visible changes to the skin than conventional cosmetic products. These active ingredients are more effective and results driven, leading to more visible changes and longer-term benefits to the skin.
What are the benefits?
The ingredients in cosmeceuticals are stronger than cosmetic-grade skincare products, but not as strong as pharmaceutical products. They do not require a prescription and can be used on an ongoing basis rather than as a short-term solution.
The categorisation of these products can be confusing. Essentially, cosmetic products that are widely available in department stores, supermarkets and chemists can only provide temporary results. Although they sometimes contain active ingredients to target various skincare concerns, the concentrations of these ingredients are often minimal. The results will take longer to achieve and may not be as significant as you would see with cosmeceuticals.
The benefits of each product can be based on the type of active ingredient it contains and its purpose, eg to accelerate hydration or treat premature wrinkles. Becoming aware of the different types of active ingredients and their benefits is essential to selecting a product that will benefit your skin.
Cosmeceuticals are used for a wide variety of skin concerns, including:
- Reduction of premature lines and wrinkles
- Reduction in pore size
- Prevention and/or treatment of UV damage
- Improvement in skin colour and tone
Common ingredients for cosmeceuticals
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids – improves skin hydration and exfoliation
- Antioxidants – aids in the prevention of skin inflammation and protection against UV rays
- Botanicals – UV protection
- Peptides – aids in collagen production, reducing signs of ageing, such as wrinkling
- Retinoids – aids in preventing collagen breakdown and reduction in age spots
An exciting addition to the cosmeceutical marketplace is TEOXANE Cosmeceuticals. This results-driven range uses leading edge technology to produce significant skin beautifying and anti-ageing results.
The innovative ingredients in TEOXANE Cosmeceuticals include:
- Resilient Hyaluronic Acid® (RHA), which has been uniquely formulated to provide a hydrating layer on the surface of the skin. It moisturises and tightens the skin while acting as a matrix, rich in ingredients that are gradually released for a targeted response to the visible signs of ageing and strengthen the skin barrier.
- TEOXANE Dermo-Restructuring Complex – A selection of 8 amino-acids, 3 antioxidants, minerals and vitamin B6 to protect and revitalise.
- NovHyal – A natural constituant of Hyaluronic Acid that stimulates the natural synthesis in the skin.